Friday, October 2, 2009

A happy TV moment for me! Joy Joy Joy!

Did you see Regis and Kelly Live yesterday? I love these two. When it is too cold to go out or even to get up and venture into my bathroom I sit in my recliner and smile at these two very cheerful characters. Regis is almost 80 and I will truly be sad when and if he retires. He is the last great entertainer of his generation. When I think that he was friends with Dean Martin, Johnny Carson and others who I enjoyed as a child I truly relish getting to get up and watch him each morning. It's one of the joys of being recently retired from working that I give to myself each day. Watching Regis and Kelly is compensation for all the years I worked hard and didn't get to watch all the daytime TV shows that people talked about all those years. "Did you see Oprah today?" "Did you see The Doctors yesterday?" Nope I never got to watch those shows but I am making up for it now . . . especially watching happy Regis and cute-happy Kelly!

Anyway, the reason for this post? Yesterday Regis and Kelly gave out the "Relly Award" for best Regis impersonation in the past year. They've been giving out Relly Awards all week to guests who came on their show and made big impressions with talent or whatever they do. And America voted on the Relly Awards so Regis and Kelly have no clue who will win until they read the card on the aire!

Yesterday, they played each of the contenders film clips showing various actors or news people impersonnate Regis and each one was truly funny and talented in his own right. The best one in my opinion was Niel Patrick Harris. It had nothing to do with the fact that I think he is very talented and cute and sings well and dances and is charming. I have appreciated Niel's talent since he was Doogie Howser on television back in the 1980's. A cute little 10 year old kid who gets through medical school and works in a hospital. A bit far-fetched but not impossible was the premise of this weekly sit-com show.

Now, Niel also won the Relly award in 2007 for impersonating Regis. I was sure they wouldn't give him the award again yesterday even though he was far and above the best over all of the other contenders . . . . including Regis himself~! When his name was announced as the winner again - I actually screamed and bounced up and down in my Cabella Recliner. Then . . . I was slightly disapopinted (but understood) when Regis and Kelly announced that due to another film project Niel was working on he would not be able to accept the award in person. Yes I know he is an actor, and I know he has recently "come out" about certain things and even though I am deftly opposed to his lifestyle I do appreciate his talent and was slightly disappointed that he would not be there to joke with Kelly and be his usual funny self. Then . . . suddenly . . . from behind Kelly and Regis the beaded backdrop parted and out stepped . . . . SURPRISE!!!! . . . Niel Patrick Harris to surprise the audience, Kelly and Regis and ME!!!! It was wonderful! I screamed and jumped up and down again . . . all by myself in my little house . . . and in my Cabella chair!!!! It was one of those moments when I had a "rumbly in my tumbly" as pooh states or I had butterflies run through me. You would have thought that I was right there in the theatre with Regis and Kelly and Patrick! That's how excited I was to see him. I got SOOOO excited!!! When the audience started to scream, Kelly and Regis turned around and Kelly started jumping up and down in those very tall spikey heels she wears and clapping her hands like a little kid who has just met Santa Clause for the very first time. It was just one of those TV moments you had to see to appreciate. It was like one of the TV moments we would watch on the old Bob Hope or Jack Benny Comedy Hour.

Who is Niel Patrick Harris? He seems to be taking the entertainment world by storm lately. Hosting all the award shows like the recent Emmy's. I have to say that here is a young man (in his 30's) that is recently making big strides in his career and he has a charisma that is so catchy. Everyone wants to be his friend because of his cute boyish smile and his sence of humor and his talent for singing, dancing and acting.

So he gave a very cute acceptance speech, kissed Kelly on her cheek telling her she looked ravishing (they are very good friends) and the show cut to commercial break. When the break was over Regis and Kelly were back at the desk to finish the show and Kelly was still smiling and said, "If Loving Niel Patrick Harris is Wrong, I don't want to be right!" Hahahahahaha! My sentiments exactly. This was the TV highlight of my week! I just wanted to share it with all of you who didn't get to see Niel win his Relly! Go Niel! I think I'll go to the internet now and buy some of his movies or at least the Doogie Howser DVD set - if there is such a thing!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tour. We will have to come down and see you guys. I love the pictures about the irrigation water. They remind me of my Grandparents home. They would get their water turn and I remember going up and running through the grass. This was a lot more fun then running through the sprinklers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Katie, this was SO funny and made me miss you! I'm so glad you are getting to enjoy some simple things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your play by play of the show! Honestly the thought of you bouncing in your recliner made me laugh out loud! You're so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait. Is Regis REALLY almost 80?! He doesn't look that old!! Crazy. He's like Dick Clark. He just doesn't age.

    ReplyDelete