Friday, June 26, 2009

Eleanor and other Women







I have always been an admirer of Eleanor Roosevelt. At a very young age I read a book about her and came to know that she was the strength behind her husband who was President of the United States and suffered from illness. Many in the country didn't know how serious his illness was because she helped him function and make decisions and often made decisions for him when he couldn't - - even while he served as President. So when I read that book I came to know in a clearer way the influence we, as women, have and can have and should have on our world. I have never forgotten Eleanor's example and have thought about her when I needed to, and said her name out loud when I needed to be strong myself in my own life. Every woman will have her own "Elearnor Moments." We all need one woman to think about, emulate and even be mentored by whether or not our mento knows she is mentoring us. We may be mentored just by watching someone who carries positive impact on us.


Today I was thinking about strong women; women I have looked up to and admired. Some of them are older than me and some are much younger. The following come to mind: Christina, my great grandmother who came from Denmark and who gave up wealth and ease to come to America for a better life and then struggled for the rest of her life so her familiy could live in this country and worship as they wished. Laverda who was the valedictorian of her class but because she was a girl had to relinquish her honor to the boy who came in 2nd place. She went on to become the most well-read and educated woman I've ever known. Josie May who had struggle in her life but endured to the end of her days. Carmen a leader of women and youth who raised me and still is admired by many women in her community for her service and leadership. She was a sought after speaker by highschools, women's groups, churches, and community leaders. Lou Estelle who raised my husband, had polio, raised 6 children, is now 90 and cares for her family and husband on a daily basis. My sisters, Lisa, Alyson and Ann, Myrt, Kathy, Cindy, all talented women who all have things they could teach me that I don't already know and would if I asked them to. My daughters, Analee Michelle and Rachel Jean who continually remind me of who I am and teach me every day by their example. There are others who have influenced me . . .here's to you; Charlotte, Amy, Bebe, Becky, Celeste, Vonnie, Lisa, Tawni, Pat, Jean, Sandra, Lori, Brooke, Stephanie, Megan, Savannah and Ashlynn and as of yesterday - a new little grand daughter - Lily Rose. I wonder what influence she will have on my world.


















No comments:

Post a Comment