Friday, June 26, 2009

I have to say something about this man.





We all have influence in our lives. Michael Jackson influenced me and my generation in 1970. He was just a year younger than me and I remember sitting on my bed studying while listening to him sing "I Want You Back." Sometimes I would bounce to the beat, sing and even get up and dance. He made me happy. He was the first pop star to influence me as I moved into my teen years. I don't remember anyone before him except Elvis and the Beetles. He changed and brought a new type of music to the world and to me. My children will think this is completely weird that I would dedicate this space to Michael and I'll be harrassed for it. I can take it. The little boy Michael Jackson is the one that I like to remember now.
Michael and Donny Osmond were always in competition with each other for number one hits and at one point they communicated and worked together. My children laugh when I tell them this. See, here's the thing, I don't harrass them when I ride with them in the car and they are listening to rapp music that degrades women. One time however I pointed out what the lyrics were saying to Clay and he said, "I don't listen to lyrics mom!" Perhaps not but your subconscious works over time recording every thing you see and hear for later recall. (I'm just sayin!)
For all the times Michael was in trouble during the past decade, the press and the world was ready to condemn him and now that he is deceased, the world idolizes him and stands in the streets for days at a time mourning his loss. We have become a people who spend way to much time following idols or non-idols; we feel that the Sunday Football game is more important than our spiritual growth or figuring out the meaning of life. we read the newspaper before we say good morning to our loved ones; and the list goes on.
Michael Jackson lived in a tunnel and was put there by his father. He grew up to be depressed and confused much of the time. He was a genius for sure even as a child, and perhaps contributed to his downfall. He learned to work but never was allowed or shown how to play. He tried to learn as an adult but failed and then got into trouble. Where is he now? In a place where he won't be smothered, won't be allowed to hide, or take pills, or be taken advantage of. He'll now be given a chance to rest, and to learn all the things he didn't get to learn here and he will begin to grow again. By the way, if you haven't seen my moon dance, ask me the next time we see each other. I'll do it as soon as my bad knee and hip get all better. : 0 )
That's my editorial about Michael.

No comments:

Post a Comment