Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Delta Check In

I'm here. I really am. No new pics. Why? Because I don't have the computer abilities here yet that I have at "home" in Pensacola. I just wanted to say I'm here. I'm good. Rachel will update my blog with pictures when I send them to her later today or tomorrow. I'm a lucky girl to have a daughter who offers to help me with my Blog. We talked today for an hour on our cell phones off peak time - - Eeek! . . and it was fun.

Delta? It's good. It's Peace! It's quiet. School's out so you can go out and drive down main streets and never pass a car except at noon when everyone is out for lunch. You pass plenty of youth out walking the street in "gangs" which are good gangs. On Saturday I wake up to the sound of a thousand 4-wheelers going around town. It's very funny and very different. On July 4th you wake up to the sound of cannons which I'll miss because Ill be back in FL by then. It's just a different life here. All in all I feel good and happy here and extremely wonderful about being with Dean again. I've had two nights when I woke in the night in tears - - I guess the adjustment worked on my sleeping subconscious to force the tears out of my ducts. I rolled over and put my arm around Dean and he hugged me until I stopped. I guess for a fraction of a second I wondered, "What in the world are we doing?" Then I was fine. The other morning I woke up sad, missing Florida friends and I just got up and dressed before dawn, walked over to the little white bungalow we'll call home and started painting the last bedroom a soft light cheerful color called "sea mist blue". As the sun came up and began to come in the windows I sat down on a chair and felt happiness return.

I have loved spending time with extended family(including brother's family and sister's family and lots of nieces and nephews; parents and Eric, who I've had precious little time with the past ten years and Jen and Savannah. I have loved driving to the small surrounding towns with Dean as he travels to different schools to fix computers and then stopping at the local hotel for lunch which is always amazingly tantalizingly yummy. I have enjoyed a wonderful dutch over lunch that the school district had after school was out for all the principals and Dean and I were invited. It was the best food I've ever had, all cooked by men. I've even learned to love to paint as it works out my fears and worries and arthritic joints into non-fears, non-worries, and well oiled joints.

Tonight we'll have dinner with friends who Dean grew up with, who moved to Pensacola the same time we did back in 1989 with the Military and then left Pensacola 5 years later to move back to Idaho. We haven't seen them in 15 years but have emailed and talked a few times. Life is one big circle.

I'm living a very simple life and will probably live a much simpler life than even the people of Delta for the most part. I plan to slow way down from my fast life of the past and stay that way for emotional and physical, marital happiness. The women here? They all are gourmet cooks, they all have a huge quilt set up in their homes that they are working on, they all have college degrees because teaching is the only profession one can have in Delta, they all serve on the county fair board, they all subscribe to cookbook clubs, they all are welcoming and oh, yes, they are very outspoken. Rachel asked me to promise to keep my Florida, southern manners (without the Florida dialect), hold my tongue and be the lady I taught her to be. Rachel, I promise!

I miss Rachel and Clay and Ashlynn and Howard but I know, there is time for everything and everything has it's own time and place. All things come together eventually and that includes us.

Check in for pictures later.

No comments:

Post a Comment