Sunday, May 10, 2009

Farewells




Pratt Clanton, David Reed (Bishop Reed), Jim Boatwright


Brother Stanfill brought his rider mower every week last year and mowed my lawn. We would sit on the porch and sometimes come in and have lunch together. Sweet man! Very emotional today as he hugged me and said goodbye.



This week I emailed my Bishop to tell him I was leaving to go to Utah next week. Today in Sacrament Meeting Bishop Reed stood up after the opening song and prayer to take care of weekly business before the Sacrament was passed. I was sitting behind him on the organ bench. He said, "This is a very sad day for me. I received an email from Sister Gardner this week. I've been expecting it but trying not to think about it but knew it would inevitably come. She will be leaving us this week to move to Utah to prepare a home that she will be moving into. Before the meeting started I asked her how long she had been the organist in our ward. She said 16 years . . . and so it is with reluctance that I ask you to sustain her as we release her from her callings as Ward Organist and also as the Preach My Gospel Sunday School Teacher. All those who can release her with a vote of thanks, please signify by the raise of the right hand." The audience raised their hands and he turned to look at me and had tears in his eyes. I was very touched by his sentiments in my behalf. Now, the amazing thing is that someone moved into our ward 2 weeks ago who is an organist and a pianist. In all these years no one has ever come who could play the organ. I have been very worried about leaving our congregation for this reason. She was sustained as the new Ward Organist today . . . and I knew that it really is time for me to go. In Sunday School I was asked to give the closing prayer and in Relief Society (the meeting for women) I was asked to stand and share my experiences of sharing my gospel beliefs with others and then to close with prayer again in that meeting. It was at the end of the lesson and I talked to the sisters about always being an example, more than sharing or talking, it's about just being happy and being an example for what we believe and always living what we believe. I asked them to always let people see the light in their eyes which reflects the full happiness they feel while being members of the only true and "living" Church on earth today. Then I gave the closing prayer. While I prayed with and for them I could hear some of their tears. I felt strong love for them and told them that when I attend Relief Society in Utah, I will think of them and they will always be on my heart and always they will be my sisters and I told them I will always remember them. They came up after and hugged me and cried and some told me that they had always looked up to me and longed to be like me. Isn't it funny that you never know the impact you have on people until it's time to say goodbye. Sister Anita Godwin whose husband had just passed away who worked with Dean in the Bishopric wept and kissed my cheek. Sister Bebe Dodge who is our Relief Society President hugged me and wiped her eyes and made me promise to come back and meet them all somewhere for lunch before I leave for the final time. The Bishop's wife, Vonnie Reed, had me to lunch this week and she came up and hugged me and cried. Brother Stanfill (88 years old) came in and could not speak except to tell me he loved me as tears rolled down his cheeks. I promised him that when Dean comes to move us we would come to say Goodbye to him. My young women some who had not been in church for awhile but who were there for Mother's Day came up and hugged me with tears in their eyes. So . . . . I came home with red burning eyes and the only relief from burning eyes is to nap which is what I did. They are my family just like my friends at work were my family. Now it's time to go to real family and I'm way excited. Next Sunday night, we'll have a huge family home evening at my Brother's house. We have that once a month on a Sunday night. Exited to go but I will never forget these people who did nothing but love me unconditionally and served me and cared for and helped me raise my children.

2 comments:

  1. I think you are a great example of the Mormon faith, your beliefs, and your church. I have always told you how I love that you don't preach to me, you just share and listen...and I have learned a lot from you. How sad everyone must be in your church to lose your beautiful music, smile, and wisdom! I got a little teary myself reading this...but I dont really believe you are leaving me yet. So...I will keep pretending!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy. I love you and will miss you as much as I'll miss them.

    ReplyDelete