Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Answering Comment Questions/ ShaPoopy disintegrator and Seizure Syndrome

I noticed that a couple of my family members had commented on earlier posts of which I missed. I wanted to answer their questions here. There were two comments/questions on two different posts which I never answered. The two topics were not related.

What is poop disintegrator?
Poop Disintegrator is a chemical powder that comes in very handy after natural disasters or even while camping if you find you have to resort to collecting your "shapoopies" in plastic bags rather than using bathroom facilities which may not be available. It is something that preparedness experts and people in Florida should have on hand at all times in their 75 hour preparedness kits. We have not had to use our poop disintegrator but we do have it just in case. It kills the aroma and disintegrates the actual object. Hope this helps.

Seizures and Electronic video Games - - (Our family, most of us from Grandpa down to grandchildren have a history of seizures ranging from very mild to the more severe Grande Mall type). Did you know that Lewis Carroll who wrote Alice in Wonderland had seizures and this story came from his experiences of having seizures. That's why this story is scary to some children but to our family it is a real depiction of how we feel when we enter the experience of a seizure. Everything can get bigger, longer, taller, louder. This entry is in Answer to my niece Sara's comment on an earlier blog entry of mine.

Now - - - Sara, your comment both concerned me and made me laugh. You have seizures while playing video games . . . and you are not afraid to go back to them? You are one of the bravest people I know because of all you have done in your life and now this? . . . very brave! Walking into walls? That is too funny. I have also had the type of seizures you describe having but I have not had one since the week after we moved to Florida 20 years ago. I had these all the time when I was growing up and Rachel says that she has had them as well and Eric. I do remember getting up after a seizure which usually came as I was waking from a nap or sleep and feeling like I was disoriented and dizzy so I get the wall thing! I had the distortions of time and space and even the air seems to move slowly and I seemed to be able to hear and see the air move at times. Then when Ryan and Kevin were diagnosed, we all were able to relate and knew that we were not normal and that we were really having something out of the ordinary. I thought everybody had these and that it was part of life. I didn't know you were having this experience while playing electronic games. That is fascinating and it also makes sense.

When I was in my 20's I had panic disorder for a short period of time. The first time I had a full blown panic attack I was in a game room with my children. Because of your comment on my bog, I realize now that I may have had a seizure set off by bells and flashing lights that sent me into a panic mode. I wonder if seizures account for part of the reason that there is a high level of creativity in our family - - art and music. Clay seems to have a photographic memory of everything he sees, hears and learns. When he was little with each of his seizures I noticed that he seemed to be more alert and bright after each seizure and his grades got better and better with no added effort on his part. He never had to study or work at anything really. His brain seemed to be stimulated in some way for the positive. He was on the computer when he had this more serious seizure that affected his speech two months ago. So there has to be some relation to all of this. I think Ryan had a seizure while working at his office on the computer but I'm not sure. Dean has commented that he has never been around a family who had so much music and artistic (painting) talent. Maybe I'll tell him that it is because of our seizures and then he won't feel as bad about his family not having these "gifts." Grandpa had seizures and we know that his talent is amazing amazing.

Wouldn't it be interesting to hook us up to EEG machines while playing video games to see what effect this has on you and others comparatively? It is true that seizures can also cause brain damage but that does not seem to be the case in this family's experience. We're very lucky and blessed. Do you feel that your painting gets better after having had a seizure?

2 comments:

  1. Video games, certain television shows, and computer screens (especially in a dark room) are all proven to trigger seizures in people who are prone to them. But I love my video games too much to give them up. Jeremy's always caught off guard when I just suddenly turn them off for awhile though, when we've both been playing. He says, "You're done?" And I just say, "Everything's all weird again. Just gonna sit here for awhile."

    And I have a photographic memory like Clay. Everyone always asks me why I never really have to study or how I can remember everything for tests and it's because I can just recall the page of text or the picture in my mind. I could pretty much re-read my textbooks in my mind during tests when I needed to. It was really helpful.

    I don't know whether it has affected my painting. I haven't had one for awhile because I've been too busy to play video games and I take breaks from my computer at work every hour. I'll have to pay attention the next time it happens and see if I get a new idea afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, that is very interesting. I feel like I learned something new today. Yay!

    ReplyDelete